Elwood T. Wyman served as Superintendent of Warwick Schools from 1905 to 1913 and from 1921 to 1930. He was widely regarded as innovative and forward thinking. Superintendent Wyman passed on January 27, 1930, while holding this position.
In 1933, facing a population increase in the Gaspee Plateau section of the city, School Superintendent Warren A. Sherman recommended to the School Committee that a new 12 room school be built. Our school was built on the former site of the Nicholas Brown mansion and was named in Elwood T. Wyman’s honor. The building opened its doors in September 1936. In 1952 the basement was converted to classrooms.
When the annex opened in 1968, a total of 20 rooms were being used to house 700 students at our school. This annex currently houses first grade, kindergarten and special education classrooms and a library. An all purpose room was added in 1997.
E.T. Wyman currently houses three kindergartens, three first grades, two second grades, three third grades, two fourth grades, and three fifth grades. Our school features a visual arts room; music, chorus, and instrumental instruction room, and a newly renovated library.
We are proud to continue the over 80 year tradition of excellence that has been E.T. Wyman School, and to offer the best possible educational opportunities to the children of our community.
Our mission is to create and maintain a teaching and learning community which prepares all students to become self-directed lifelong learners as well as skilled communicators who are respectful, responsible, and self confident contributors to society.
We offer a safe, secure, nurturing environment, and prepare all students to become creative thinkers, problem solvers, effective communicators, as well as contributing, productive citizens. Our school is a child centered community of lifelong learners that recognizes individual talents and abilities. E.T. Wyman School is a place where school, home and community collaborate to accomplish our mission and goals.